Tuesday 28 December 2010

Songs of the year pt.3

I'm trying to make sure I can get this out of the way before NYE, so here is my next installment of my songs of the year. Please take all of these songs in as I think your life will be better for it, or don't...it's your choice, however you may just discover your new favourite band.


LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean
A band that has always set a high standard in opening tracks to albums. 'This is Happening' is perhaps not as good as their last offering 'Sound of Silver' however this 8 minute 54 second opener is amongst the best things James Murphy has ever created. Stick with the nearly 3 minute long intro and you will be rewarded by some of the best synth sounds to ever grace your ears. I fear it may be LCD Soundsystem's last record but better to go out on a high. 


Local Natives - Wide Eyes
This band really took me surprise, I can't even remember how I stumbled across them but I'm so glad I did. Rythmically this track is great, I mean like really great, add on top of that fantastic harmonies and cracking guitar parts this was always going to be in my top songs of the year. I can't recommend their album 'Gorilla Manor' enough. 


Yeasayer - O.N.E.
This is such a departure from the first album but what a departure! Where the first album was critically acclaimed as being some sort of world music-indie hybrid, this sounds like a bunch of people dropping acid in South America and writing a bunch of great songs at the same time. Funnily enough I've heard that's not far from the truth. O.N.E. was the first song I heard off 'Odd Blood', and it's definitely my favourite. 

Foals - Spanish Sahara
I actually found the first Foals album a little bit boring in places, well maybe boring is the wrong word, shall we say not as good as I had hoped. With 'Total Life Forever', I felt they finally created something truly specatular as a whole entity with 'Spanish Sahara' as the masterpiece in the middle of it all. It builds like the best post rock tracks with Yannis learning to delicately sing over it before crashing into something of equal beauty and greatness; the track Bloc Party never wrote? 

'I'm the fury in your head
I'm the fury in your bed
I'm the ghost in the back of your head'

Enough said. 


Broken Bells - The Ghost Inside
To say I was let down by the newest Gorillaz album would be an understatement, and then I heard Broken Bells. Dangermouse and James Mercer off of The Shins produce and album that was the album the last Gorrilaz album should have been. It's got great production, great melodies and this is my favourite track off it. Big fan of the hip-hop/indie crossover going on. This is a live version of the track with Dangermouse on drums, I recommend listening to the studio version if you like it. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have part 3; I still have two more installments of this I want to share with you before NYE. Again, it would be great to know what you think of these songs or any of the others I have put up. 

I also promise some non music related posts will be on the way. 
Check me out on twitter as well, I'm at twitter.com/jacobdunkley
Ta

No comments:

Post a Comment