Monday 27 December 2010

Songs of the year pt.1

Ok I've decided to break my songs of the year down into several parts, perhaps because I'm too lazy to put 20 videos into one blog or perhaps it is because I want to anyone that reads this to have the chance to not be overwhelmed with music in one go. These are not in any particular order and I'm not going to say much about the songs, the songs themselves can do that better than I can.


Crystal Castles feat. Robert Smith - Not in Love
I say these are not in any particular order but this is probably my song of the year. The best song of the year it is not however I think it fitted a time and a place when I first listened to it. It is beautiful and chilling but above all, you can dance to it.


The National - Conversation 16
Without a doubt High Violet was one of the albums of the year for a large number of people. Maybe it wasn't as good as Boxer but it's propelled the National into being much more of a household name. This may not be a single but I will always think of someone when I hear the line, "I was afraid I'd eat your brains, because I am evil", and I mean that in a good way. It was between this and 'Sorrow'.


Arcade Fire - Ready to Start
Ok Arcade Fire, hands down album of the year? Maybe. 'The Suberbs' has taken the band to a whole new level. I've been shot down for describing them as THE MOST IMPORTANT BAND IN THE WORLD, watch this live version of 'Ready to Start' and make your own mind up.



Caribou - Odessa
My favourite dance album of the year was definitely Caribou 'Swim'. 'Odessa' is the opening track, I remember the first time I heard it, I was blown away by how great the production was, the Erland Oye-esque vocals, the sound, the percussion and above all how great the song was.


Warpaint - Undertow
Lyrically this is incredible, alongside that the melodies and harmonies that underpin this wonderfully crafted song are quite simply beautiful. So what if it slightly pays homage to Susanne Vega and Nirvana, I can forgive them for that. I've listened to this far too much recently.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that's this five over, I'll do the next five tomorrow. Please let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Caribou - Odessa could easily be Royksopp it could.

    ReplyDelete