Tuesday 28 December 2010

Songs of the year pt.2

OK so here is the next batch of my songs of the year. I'd like to point out there is no order here, that's too hard for me to get my head around. I really think 2010 has been one of the best years for new music I can remember, there have been so many great albums and songs that fill them.  Except for the one person who I continue to share every song I like with, you may find something new here to listen to.


Fool's Gold - Surprise Hotel

If anything this reminds me of dancing round Josh, Tom (now Rob) and Will's flat in North London on the weekend of the Camden Crawl (I think we may also have been drunk and playing table tennis but that's an aside). They sing in Hebrew and so I couldn't tell you what it's about, maybe the video can explain that for you....I think this has to be the happiest song of the year for me, well this or the next song in the list.

Casiokids - Finn Bikkjen
Well another song I have no real idea what the lyrics mean, something about a dog? This was the song of my Roskilde 2010. We played this all the time in our camp, probably too much. This Norwegian band I tried and failed to see at the Camden Crawl due to eating at Wagamamas and then the queue for the venue being too big, I finally got my chance at Roskilde and I was far from disappointed.




The Drums - Forever and Ever Amen
A band I actually managed to see at the Camden Crawl, squashed into the downstairs of the Camden Barfly. The Drums sort of took a lot of people by surprise a bit this year, with Let's Go Surfing taking quite a while to become the dance floor filler it has become. I find it hard to pick a favourite track of this album but this I think song just pips it over the others. The chorus, although repetitive, is just great.


Hurts - Wonderful Life
A surprise inclusion you may think in my top songs of the year (it originally came out at the end of last year but nobody 'got' Hurts until this year when it was re-released). This is a great 80's style pop song, with ridiculously over the top production. It's all about the electronic drum beat in the chorus and the ticking clock that follows it. I don't even care if it sounds like a boy band, boy bands don't write songs this good.




Everything Everything - MY KZ UR BF
This also was originally released last year but again re-released this year. I think you either think this band or amazing, or the singers continually shifting vocals will drive you crazy, I fall into the former category. The album is definitely a grower, it's far more varied than most debuts, and it was hard to choose between this and the more riff based 'Suffragette Suffragette', a song with its immortal line "who is going to sit on your face when I'm gone", at least I'm pretty sure that's what he sings.

-------------------------------------------------------

I think that's it for this batch. I hope you discover something new you like here; I'm going to do the next lot later today.

1 comment:

  1. Hurts is actually a good not boy band band. Its like M83 with a voice. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete