Tuesday 26 July 2011

Butternut Squash and Courgette Tagine



So maybe it might seem a bit strange that the second recipe I post on my blog also contains butternut squash but that's ok because it's a great vegetable. I more or less based this on a recipe I got from a cookbook with a few alterations. 

This is really simple to make and tastes great, I did it to serve two with enough left for my lunch the next day. 

1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1/2 medium butternut squash
1 medium courgette
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
Pinch of saffron thread
2 teaspoons of crushed cumin seeds 
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons of crushed coriander seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 large red chilli
1 tablespoon of honey

Peel the butternut squash and chop it into 2cm cubes, do the same with the courgette. Now finely chop and fry the onion in olive oil for a few minutes, then add the chopped garlic, after a minute or so add all the dried spices and stir for another minute before adding the chopped chilli. Add the tomatoes, cinnamon stick, honey and vegetables. 

Cook until tender, which is about 30 mins. You may need to top up with a bit of water to stop it drying out. Once done season and add plenty of chopped coriander. I then garnished with a little extra coriander and served with cous cous.  

The cous cous I served it with tonight was 150g with a knob of butter in the bottom, zest of a lemon, chopped green chilli and finely chopped coriander with enough boiling water on top to cook it through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment