Thursday 13 January 2011

Part of the weekend never dies

So with the weekend looming, as a dj I've been thinking about some of my favourite songs to throw outlandish shapes and bust moves to, I'm ignoring any guitar based bands here. I guess thinking about songs that people dance to is a big part of my Saturday evening, and I really enjoy the buzz of a packed dancefloor. If I was to hit the floor, these would be 5 of my favourites.

Blue Monday - New Order
Without a doubt my favourite song to dance to and one of my all time favourite songs, for me this song will never get old. It still sounds fresh today despite the fact that it is as old as I am. New Order were terrible live, great on record, better being played through a club's P.A.. This song will always remain the biggest selling 12" of all time in this country.

Justic Vs Simian - We are your Friends
This song is always great to dance to and has been filling the floors since it was released. This sort of acted as a platform to help launch both Justice and Simian Mobile Disco (even though this is sampled from a track from their former band Simian). You can always here people shout the words as loudly as they can when it comes on.

Hot Chip - Over and Over
Although Hot Chip are a great live band, I feel the true Hot Chip experience is this song on the dancefloor. As hard as they've tried I don't think they're been able to do anything which tops this. At the time it sort of came out of nowhere and Warning was much more of a dance album than their first effort.  .
LCD Soundsytem - Daft Punk is playing at my house
Certainly my favourite dance group, LCD produce have produced three consistently good studio albums proper, and all of them are fantastic in their own right. Choosing a favourite song to dance to is harder, today I've gone for this one, tomorrow I would probably give you a different answer.

The Rapture - House of Jealous Lovers 
Produced by James Murphy off of LCD Soundsystem, this is probably the best dance track of the naughties. Everything about this song was years ahead of it's time and still doesn't really get the recognition it deserves and it probably helped Murphy pull some of his ideas together for LCD. If there was ever a perfect song for me to pull shapes to, this is it, probably because I can't dance.

A few others include

Mylo - Drop The Pressure
DFA 1979 - Romantic Rights
Soulwax - E Talking
Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Heads Will Roll (A trak remix)
The Knife - Heartbeats
Crystal Castles feat. Robert Smith - Not in love
Metronomy - Heartbreaker
Simian Mobile  Disco - Hustler
MGMT - Kids (Soulwax remix)
The Faint - Glass Dance

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the weekend is nearly upon us, time to Dance Yrself Clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment