Sunday 16 January 2011

The geeks were right.

So I was having a conversation with my friend today about my blog while perusing the DVD section of Exeter's Fopp and we started discussing favourite films, so the result of this is me now writing this and thinking off the top of my head about some of the films I enjoy. I've actually decided to do the top 'geeky/nerdy' films I enjoy. When it comes to watching films I tend not to watch too many by myself, I'd rather immerse myself in music. If I'm going to watch a film, I like company, I like to be able to discuss it with whoever I've watched it with afterwards. I don't need to say loads about the films because the trailers sort of do that anyway....

Blade Runner
Ridley Scott's take on Philip K. Dick's novel, 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep', is a bleak dystopian take on the future. I might be a little bit of a sci-fi geek at times, but this film has an engrossing story, great characters and leaves you with plenty of unanswered questions. Visually this film was years ahead of its time and I sort of just get lost in Ripley's world everytime I watch it.

Spirited Away
OK it was really hard for me to choose a favourite Studio Ghibli film but this one has a special place as the first I saw. I actually saw this at the Picture House while I was at university and I'd never quite seen anything like it before. The emotion and detailed level of storytelling that Hayao Miyazaki is able to portray through this, and other, films is beyond anything any theatrical film is able to replicate.

Goodbye Lenin
This film is beautiful, from the fantastic casting, story and scripting to Yann Tierson's wonderful soundtrack. The film is really moving, following a young man's journey to try and keep his mother alive at the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Part tragedy and part comedy, it manages to keep you gripped throughout at the same time reminding the viewer just how much of a lifestyle change the fall of communism must have been for East Berlin. 

 
Empire Strikes Back
I had to sneak one Star Wars film in there and this one is definitely my favourite. Why? Well because it's the darkest of the original trilogy, the battle of Hoth scene is amazing, Yoda teaches Luke how to be a Jedi and we find out Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers father. Pretty powerful stuff to cram into one film. If people ever ask me the last time I cried at a film I always say this one, I am however joking. 

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
Some people might say I'm being damn right risky to put a film that only came out last year alongside such other gems but that's the sort of live life on the edge sort of man I am. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was without a doubt my favourite film of last year, it was a real breath of fresh air and just plain fun. Scott has to defeat the seven evil ex's of the girl of his dreams, Ramona. If you haven't seen it yet, well you should. Enough said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment