Sunday 29 May 2011

The death of the high street record store revisited

Back in January I posted about the decline in high street record stores which you can read in full here. Since then things seem to have become bleaker still, as in the space of a few short months following that post, Exeter lost its Fopp records and now another local independant is following suit. Yesterday I was alerted to the fact that Martian Records on Ghandi St., is soon to be shutting its doors to the public and was having a closing down sale. I mourned the loss of Fopp as HMV really doesn't have the feel or charm that it used to and now Martian has lost its battle too.

Martian Records, along with the now defunct Solo Records were where I spent many hours and many pounds when I was younger and it seems like the excuse of the internet killing music retail has finally won in Exeter. Although I perhaps haven't visited Martian as much over recent years as I used to apart from the occasional trawl through sale and second hand stock or more recently to see a chaotic Computers album launch gig in there, it will still be missed.

Will HMV last out the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment